Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fall Musicales

Guess the musical from the lyrics:

A. "Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry, when I take you out in the surrey, when I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top!"

B. "You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life..."

C. "Took her bowling in the Arcade, we went strolling drank lemonade, we made out under the dock, we stayed out till ten o'clock"

D. "Take my hand, take a breath, pull me close and take one step, keep your eyes locked on mine, and let the music be your guide."

E. "I could have danced all night! And still have begged for more. I could have spread my wings and done a thousand things I've never done before" 

F. "It's all about popular! It's not about aptitude, it's the way your viewed, so it's very shrewd to be, very very popular, like me!"

G. "It's a privilege to pee!"

*answers at the bottom of post :)

Obviously, I really like musicals! I think if I lived in New York I would have to make sure I wasn't living on the streets from spending all of my rent money on going to see musicals on Broadway! Which are quite amazing in my opinion. 

In the past 27 hours I have been to the mall twice and have watched two very, very different musicals... both which took place in the mall.

Musical #1: High School Musical 3
My thoughts:
-Never heard of it? I would have to question whether or not you are American or maybe even human... it is all the craze of little girls, tween girls, teenage girls, girls (and maybe even a few young boys - in secret of course) everywhere!
-I am not ashamed to admit that I have seen all three and therefore feel like I have the right to compare them. The conclusion of this being that HSM 3 is by far the best one!
 Just a few reasons why I think so: although it's still cheesy it's not as cheesy as 1 & 2, the choreography is a lot more advanced and is actually done really well (a lot more practice and perfection and a lot more money spent, it's obvious), best story line of the three, and I could see this actually being performed on a stage... on Broadway.
-My favorite characters are Ryan Evans and Rocket Man. Not Gabriella or Troy.
-I would definitely watch it again... let me rephrase: I will watch it again!

Musical #2: Urinetown
My thoughts:
-Never heard of it? I'm not surprised in the least. I basically knew nothing about it going in except that it was supposed to be very witty and entertaining.
-It definitely had witty parts and entertaining ones, too, but it was not my favorite musical. I do have to give it quite a bit of credit though for the fact that it was put on by "Maui On Stage" and took place in a tiny theatre in the mall. Considering the circumstances it was done well!
-If you're still wondering, Urinetown is about a time when a drought has caused a huge water shortage and as a result people are no longer allowed to have private restrooms and must pay to pee in public amenities that are controlled by a corporation called Urine Good Company. It's satirical and witty yet different and somewhat strange!
-I wouldn't necessarily tell anyone to see it or to not see it, a lot of it depends on your taste and sense of humor!

All this talk of musicals makes me want to listen to a musical soundtrack. Too bad the only one I actually have is the Rent soundtrack so I guess I'll listen to that one!

Answers to above "Guess the musical from the lyrics" quiz:


A. Oklahoma!
B. Mamma Mia
C. Grease
D. High School Musical 3
E. My Fair Lady
F. Wicked
G. Urinetown



Just for the record: Today is October 26th making this two months that I have been in Maui. Only ten more months here... crazy.

Happy Mauiversary!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I got all of them right except HSM3 and Urinetown (Urinetown?? seriously?! What kind of title is that?!)... obviously b/c I have not seen these two yet. I'll probable see HSM3 over the holidays and then we can talk on the phone and bond over our love for cheesy tween-musicals (probably won't see urinetown, but I think I'm ok with that) :)

Love you, hon... and LOVE your blog!

~ Erin