Tuesday, October 7, 2008

POG

This weekend was the Maui County Fair. Here are some of the things that happened:

1. We ate steak and rice. Toni (that's the children's director aka my boss - have I already told you that?) gave Josh and me tickets that she got for steak and rice at the fair. So needless to say it was free and tasted even better because of it. By the way, they eat rice with everything here. You want fish? It comes with rice. You want chicken? It comes with rice. You get the idea.


2. We drank Frosty POG. Let me explain... POG is Passion Orange Guava juice. We drink it a lot here. It's really pretty good! Plus, it is way cheaper than orange juice, which can get up to $10/gal. Crazy, I know. Anyway, Frosty POG is basically POG, sherbet, and ice blended together. Good stuff.

3. There was hypnotism. So, we wandered over toward the stage where there was free entertainment and stood there a while as a hypnotist hypnotized people into thinking they were famous people. At the magic word they would start singing and dancing and thinking they were... Fergie or Justin Timberlake or a whole group of boys thought they were NSync! Man, how embarrassing. Glad it wasn't me, but then again I would never volunteer myself for such a thing. It was probably pretty funny, but we were tip-toeing behind a crowd of people trying to get a look and eventually gave up. I think hypnotism is quite freaky anyhow.

4. We ventured through the "arts and crafts" and "better living" tents. It was pretty much the only other thing that was free. Well, nothing in the tents was actually free. It was more like we were window shopping! I don't know about you, but when I think "arts and crafts" I picture little do-it-yourself crafty projects like scrapbooking or card-making. Nope. Not at the fair. But if you wanted to buy jewelry, sunglasses, and air freshener... then you were in the right spot! One thing that caught our eye in the "better living" section was Shamwow! (as seen on tv). It's a sheet of what to me looks like felt that you use to dry things and wipe up spills. So we stood in front of the booth as the guy continuously spilled water all over the place and dried it all off with his Shamwow and bashed the use of paper towels and sponges. I debated whether or not to get one because my dad saw it on tv once and thought it was really cool, but I decided to save my $20 for something other than a Shamwow. 

5. We ate malasadas. Malasadas are these puffy, fried (kind of doughnut-y) rolls that are covered in lots of sugar. They are about as good as funnel cake, but less greasy and you don't choke on powdered sugar when you try to inhale as you take a bite. I always seem to do that when I eat funnel cake! haha. Anyway, malasadas are delicious.

6. And, sad to say, we did not ride one ride. But I was thinking while I was there that if I had to choose only one ride to go on it would be the Ferris Wheel. I like the Ferris Wheel and it is so classic. You always see it in movies like, Grease, Never Been Kissed, The Notebook... I think I'm seeing a pattern... Well, maybe on my next date we will ride a Ferris Wheel. :)

And that was my experience at the Maui County Fair in a nutshell.

Random fact of the day: Okay, remember pogs? The game that was really popular in the 90's where you stacked discs called pogs and used a "slammer" to hit them and see how many you could flip over... if you're my age I'm sure you remember. Well, the name originated from the juice I told you about: POG. The game actually first started in Hawaii (Maui to be specific!) in the 1920s using POG bottle caps. It just became popular in 90s when a game company decided to commercialize it.
John actually told me about this while we were drinking our Frosty POG... so I Googled it and it's true!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

your post on the fair is way good. You definitely got the Maui fair experience...i did nothing cool there.

I can't believe you sat through the hypnotism. you're going to hell.

let's be friends.