Thursday, October 23, 2008

Goaltimate?

Last Wednesday I was riding home from the church with Josh and Joshua. I'm pretty sure we might have been going to Taco Bell because we eat there a lot... anyway, as we drove down South Kihei we saw a group playing ultimate frisbee at the park. It was probably the first week we were here when Joshua and I had talked about how we really wanted to play ultimate sometime so he threw out the idea that we should join this group that appears to play every Wednesday. I agreed to go the following week.

Well, tonight was the following week so with some hesitance I changed into my active wear, if you will, and told Joshua I would go with him to check out the ultimate players. Let me explain what we saw when we drove up... a group of very athletic men wearing cleats and looking as intimidating as ever! Okay, there were also two women in the group, but they too looked very athletic. In my head I was just wishing for there to be a reason that we couldn't play, but of course they ended up being really friendly, inviting us to play, and passing us a frisbee to warm up with. Go figure.

And if you want to get technical we didn't actually play ultimate. Tonight was the first time I have ever played or even heard of what they like to call goaltimate. Goaltimate is the half-field version of ultimate frisbee. How this game works: (1) Same rules as ultimate except... (2) There's an arched goal (3) You must make a completed pass through the goal and into what I will call the "designated goal area" to score (4) Once scored the offensive team keeps the frisbee and works it back (without throwing it back through the goal) to get it past the clear line in the back to start over again. It's a bit more challenging than ultimate and definitely makes for a good workout!


So I won't even deny that I planned on sitting out on the game due to my feeling intimidated and not wanting to ruin the game by sucking. BUT with a little bit of coaxing from one of the guys there that I ended up knowing from Hope Chapel (Maui is so small I tell you!) I decided I would give it a try. To my surprise I actually did okay and I even caught two scoring passes and made a pass for a score!! :) Overall, it was really fun, I was very out of breath and red in the face by the end, and we got invited to play again.

See ya at the park!

No comments: